Heat is a serious concern for modern advertising screen displays because not all the energy being moved through the outdoor LED display board is used for illumination. Instead, a certain percentage of the energy is transferred into heat. Not only that, but when screens are large enough and open to the elements, they often receive a decent amount of heat from the sun.
Without proper preventative measures, advertisers can end up with distorted, damaged, or no longer working LED walls. That can lower client engagement and eventually cause a problem with customer acquisition.
What Causes Advertising Screen Displays to Overheat?
LED advertising screen displays can be as large as 60-120 square meters or more to be easily viewable from a distance. Businesses want to be featured at the busiest intersections and transport arteries. Think airports like Singapore or hubs like Times Square in New York, USA.
LED screens work by using semiconductor light-emitting diodes (LEDs) for illumination. A module and control unit is sealed from dust and water mounted behind the back panel to control the colors and luminosity of different LED configurations. Because these advertising screen displays are sometimes used in huge form factors like outdoor LED video walls. They require a lot more illumination, so all the details of the image being displayed are readily viewable.It can lead to:
- Internal Issues: A percentage of the energy used to increase the illumination is instead dissipated into heat. This heat can gather inside the LED display without proper management and lead to problems.
2. External Issues: without proper planning, advertising screen displays can be subjected to direct or indirect sunlight for a large portion whole the day. This heat is absorbed by the often black mounting and screen surface, causing severe problems.
Common Damages of Advertising Screen Display Heating
Damage will happen once the advertising screen display has reached a critical heating point. It can come in many forms, including:
- Wavelength Drift
It changes the color correction where the shift is relatively significant and causes the wavelength to change by 0.2-0.3nm for every degree of temperature change beyond the norm.
2. Brightness Reduction
Every degree of change can result in a 1% change in brightness output. The red light is the most affected, meaning a darker screen in extremely hot temperature settings.
3. Shorten Lifespan
Once the junction temperature rises from 63 degrees to 74 degrees Celsius, the LED lifespan will be reduced from 36,000 hours to 16,000 hours. That is a significant decrease in useful life for an expensive item.
4. Higher Costs
Mitigating this damage means businesses will need to invest in more heatsink and temperature control components. It increases operating costs and may not solve the underlying issues.
5. Wasted Energy Output
When the energy is used to illuminate the advertising screen display, it is not being used for the primary purpose of brightness or LED electricity. That expensive utility is then spent on added heat. It also adds to operational costs instead of greater energy efficiencies.
The Possible Solutions
Luckily, new technology and practical solutions prevent advertising screen displays from overheating and not performing to their optimal outputs. There are three main ways to solve the heat of LED displays.
- Where conditions, manufacturers should equip the advertising screen displays with cooling devices such as air conditioners or exhaust fans. This is because thermal convection is the most direct and effective way to dissipate heat.
- Consider adding heat transfer accessories such as aluminum, thermally conductive silicone, etc. Alternatively, increase the heat dissipation area to speed up cooling.
- Choose a good-quality power supply. The power supply part of the screen is the main location of heat generation, and a low conversion rate power supply will generate more heat.
The Benefits of SHISAI Advertising Screen Displays
Working with an industry-proven LED advertising screen display manufacturer like SHISAI is another way to avoid these issues. SHISAI has been in operation since 2017 and employs a veteran R&D team that uses everything from standard heat dissipation components to advanced thermal management technology that prevents these screens from being damaged.
This includes the Ivory Series of outdoor LED video walls with excellent waterproofing and an additional aluminum board for intensive pixel heat dissipation that is large enough to handle extreme temperatures. To get started with SHISAI, reach out to their expert sales team by visiting their website or contacting them through their online form.