Belt conveyors are widely used in all kinds of industries because of their advantages of strong transportation capacity, high tensile strength, soft belt body, long life and good economy. However, affected by many factors, belt breakage of belt conveyors has become a common accident. Once the belt is broken, it will not only seriously affect the production efficiency, but also may lead to safety accidents, so it is very important to grasp the cause of the accident and preventive measures.
Analysis of the Causes of Belt Broken
1. The quality of belt conveyor is not up to standard
As an important part of the belt conveyor, the belt is used to carry minerals and transport them to the designated location. If the quality of the belt used by the enterprise is not up to standard, plus the service life is too long, the overload operation or the daily maintenance is not in place, etc., as a result, the broken belt accident occurs due to the material block is too large, which can cause the conveyor belt is stuck .
2. The quality of the belt conveyor joint is not good
Belt conveyor joints are divided into mechanical joints and vulcanized joints. The former is not as good as the latter and is now rarely used.
The joint is used as the connection point between the two belts of the belt conveyor. If the quality of the joint is not good, it is very likely to cause a belt breakage accident. The joint will often break in the following four situations:
- During the use of the vulcanized joint, the steel wire and rubber compound are often covered by dust, causing the latter to rust or open the glue, thereby causing the joint to break.
- During the partial vulcanization process, if the steel wire core tape joint is under tension, heating will cause small twitching in the steel wire rope and the rubber layer, thereby increasing the possibility of joint fracture.
- If the material used by the belt conveyor joint manufacturer does not meet the standard, it is easy to be worn, corroded and weakened, so that it is easy to break under strong force.
- The vulcanization process standard used in the production of joints is unqualified or not strictly implemented, and the quality of the joints produced does not meet the standard, and fracture accidents will occur.
3. Not good management
- Some enterprises have not established corresponding technical files and working systems in the management of belt conveyors, which makes belt conveyors break due to negligence in work.
- There is a lack of material transportation management mechanism. When the belt conveyor has unknown objects such as steel drills and anchors involved in the belt, it cannot be handled in time and effectively, resulting in belt breakage accidents.
- The job responsibilities are not strictly implemented. In some enterprises, there is a situation that the job responsibilities are not implemented in place in the management, which makes the equipment run with illnesses, resulting in belt breakage accidents.
4. Other operation or installation failures
- The gear reducer is damaged, the hydraulic coupler sprays liquid or the motor is reversed.
- The transportation load is suddenly increased due to the involvement of other things during transportation, such as large gangue or other objects with a particularly large mass suddenly mixed in the material being transported.
- The stress changes greatly when starting and stopping. The start and stop of the belt conveyor will also cause it to break, and it is generally best to start it under no load.
- Uneven distribution of materials, conveyor belt deviation. The belt conveyor has an unloaded section and an overloaded section, which makes the force uneven and causes the belt to break.
- The rated tensile strength of the belt exceeds the standard during transportation, and the installation is unreasonable.
- Corrosion of the use environment. The long-term exposure of the belt to the environment of humidity and high temperature is likely to cause corrosion of the main core braided layer of the belt and the traction wire rope, as well as the belt breakage caused by fatigue caused by the long-term term use of the belt.
Read More：Conveyor belt hot vulcanizing splicing materials
Preventive measures for belt conveyor ripped
1.Strictly control the quality of rubber materials
In the process of selecting rubber materials, which should be sure to use the products formulated by the manufacturer, and ensure that all purchased rubber materials have labels such as shelf life, certificate of conformity, date of manufacture, factory certificate, specifications and models.
In addition, when storing the compound, avoid direct exposure to strong light, store it in a cool place, and avoid contact with harmful chemicals. Finally, the corresponding identification work must be done before using the rubber compound to ensure that its quality is up to standard before it can be used.
2. Reasonable selection of joint length and type
At present, most of the joint types are three-level full lap joints, and a few use two-level lap joints. From the relevant experimental research, it can be seen that the retention rate of the first- and third-level fully lap joints is relatively high. If the same belt has different overlapping forms, the spacing between adjacent wire ropes is also different. The first-level spacing is the smallest, and it gradually increases upwards. The larger the distance, the more conducive to improving the strength of the vulcanized joint. The selection of the joint form should be based on a comprehensive comparison of many factors such as belt type, belt strength, number of wire ropes, wire rope diameter, and wire rope spacing.
3. Strictly control the vulcanization process
Joint vulcanization is the last important process that determines the quality of the tape during the installation process. Accurately grasping its technical conditions is the key to ensuring joint strength and joint life. The technical conditions of the vulcanization process are mainly the three elements of vulcanization, that is, the temperature of vulcanization. (In the range of 142 to 148 °C, the temperature should not exceed 150 °C.), time, and pressure. If the technical conditions of the vulcanization process are not strictly controlled or improperly controlled, it will cause quality defects such as under-sulfur, over-sulfur, delamination, foaming and heavy leather, and belt deviation, which will bring adverse consequences to future operation and maintenance.
4. Reasonable tailoring of rubber
Because rubber has a certain vulcanization shrinkage rate, its size can be slightly larger in the process of cutting it, but it should not be too small.
According to the type of tape, the width of the surface glue and the core glue should be reasonably determined. If it is a miter joint, the oblique out length should be calculated when determining its length. When tailoring the rubber material, the distance between the backstop iron after fixing the joint is used as the width of the surface glue, the width of the two ends may be different, and the full length of the joint is its length.
5. Strengthen the management of belts
- A complete post responsibility system, shift system, patrol inspection system, joint acceptance inspection system, and equipment maintenance system should be established.
- Improve the file replacement, technical file management, entry inspection and maintenance records of the belt conveyor, and regularly analyze and summarize relevant data.
- It must be ensured that the staff have received systematic training and learning, and can correctly master professional skills to avoid improper follow-up operations.
- Do a good job in the management of material transportation, and do not use belt conveyors to transport large pieces of gangue, metals, electrical and mechanical equipment, etc., to prevent overweight, overlong and sharp and hard objects from damaging high-strength belts .
- Do a good job in the maintenance of the belt conveyor to ensure that the idlers are flexible and complete, and prevent the belt from deviating.
- In actual production, there are various reasons for the belt breakage accident of the belt conveyor. The cause of the accident must be correctly analyzed, and effective measures should be taken to deal with and prevent it, so as to minimize the rate of the belt conveyor accident.
If you have any questions during use or installation, please contact BAI-OTT Coveyor Belt Splicing Company.